The assignment for this week was to create something using the laser cutter. Ben noted that he’s looking for something more than just a simple 2D cutout or etching.
For some time I’ve been thinking about perception and how we perceive something rather than nothing when we have abstract experiences. I’m interested in the edges of continuity and discontinuity, where and if something ends, and another begins. Working with the laser cutter and cutting edges of things reminded me a bunch of sketches I made, and made me want to transform them.
I started with mocking up my ideas with cardboard. I wanted to make jewellery inspired by my sketches. once I understood the right size for a bracelet, I prepared the files on illustrator. My plan was to layer the pieces to create the outlines, and the continuos and at the same cut effect.
and I also want to see how it will look on etched on wood.. so I etched both sides by reflecting the image on illustrator and keeping the shape inside a square.
My initial idea was to use cork dish placements I had, and see if I can get them etched nicely.
I prepared the sketch after cleaning it in photoshop first and then switched to illustrator and made a clipping mask to insert the sketch inside a circle measured the same as the cork piece I had. Since I only had 3 pieces of the cork, I covered the first one with tape before cutting to be able to try out different setting of etching.
Just before sending my sketch to be etched I sent an empty circle to etch an a piece of scrap foam board, so that I could have the placement right. Then I was really ready to place my flat circular piece of cork.
After etching with a mild set up, I discovered that it wasn’t etching deep enough so I sent to laser cut over it again. When I removed the tape, I realised that wherever I had the tape double it didn’t etch..
This time, the problem was discovered only when I removed the tape, and saw that the etching went through only around just a bit of the space and actually melted the glue from the tape all around the rest of the cork. Now I understood that no tape might be a better solution so I tried the back side of the messed up cork and finally got the setting I needed to go a head on the 3rd piece I had.
Only that this time, no tape at all, the laser cut was burning too much of the cork.
Here are the results..